Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Welcome!

Hello! My name is Nathaniel Fuller. I am a PhD student in English at Morgan State University, an historically black college and university (HBCU). I am currently working on a service learning project for my class, ENGL 610: Teaching College Composition and Research, and this blog will be part of that project. I plan to focus on aspects of Writing across the Curriculum (WAC) and Writing in the Disciplines (WID) pedagogy, introducing readers to research, articles, major authors in the field, musings, and applications of this politically--especially in academia--yet worthwhile method of teaching writing and content

Part of the reason I decided to present a blog is the fact that, right now, HBCUs seem resistant to using WAC and WID as compositional pedagogies. It is especially prevalent at my school, where we are in the process of retuning and refining our introductory writing courses. What better time is there to discuss a new approach? In addition, minority and urban institutions face particularly complicated issues when presenting new compositional pedagogies, as language is always political and individual, especially for our students who come from complex backgrounds.

These are the concerns and issues that I hope we can discuss, present, and hopefully apply in some shape or form in our classrooms and universities. I hope to see lots of people here and get some lively discussion about this pedagogy and its merits and problems. Don't be afraid to comment and be part of the conversation. As I always tell my students, what you think is important and I look forward to talking with a wide variety of people. I plan to have at least one post a week--more if I can manage it.

Next up, hopefully--looking at the angles of the conversation through some synthesis of sources.

No comments:

Post a Comment